Installation of Completely off grid solar system Magnum Energy
Explain Off-Grid Solar Systems to me. What could it do for me?
Solar can be used to provide the majority or all of the power in a remote cottage or home. Ideally, the solar system is designed by a professional to match your lifestyle and electrical load. The systems are modular so they can grow as your power needs change. Off-grid solar systems have storage bat- teries, and often have generators for back- up. The inverter systems for off-grid appli- cations have built-in battery chargers, and can even be used to start the generator automatically if needed.
What do I need to know about Inverters?
Most inverters used in off-grid homes connect directly to the AC load centre, and therefore energize the whole house. Inverter output is either modified sine wave (cheaper) or sine wave (cleaner). Other features to compare are charger size, efficiency and warranty.
What do I need to know about Batteries?
Batteries are your gas tanks. Deep cycle batteries are recommended as they can handle deeper discharges better. Flooded cells offer the best value. 6V batteries like the Surrette S-600 are popular for smaller systems, and larger, industrial Big Red cells are used when more capacity and life are needed. Proper charging and limiting discharging is the key to long battery life.
How big a solar system do I need?
The PV and battery system are sized to meet your power needs. A qualified installer will review your electrical loads and help you select the right equipment. For a full time home, a 1kW system will deliver on average 1.5 kWh per day in December, and about 4.5 kWh in the summer. Note that you can increase your solar system size at any time as your needs grow. However, it is wise to select a larger battery initially as they must be replaced rather than expanded due to the general rule about not mixing old and new batteries.
Why do I need a charge controller and which one is right for me?
In the simplest case, charge controllers limit the solar power going to the batteries so they don’t overcharge. Series Controllers do this with a relay that is opened after a certain battery voltage is reached. This is the simplest and cheapest route. PWM Controllers taper the current to the battery as the voltage rises through Pulse Width Modulation of the energy input. This is better for battery life as it adds a float charge to keep batteries at 100% full. Larger solar arrays use MPPT Charge Controllers. Maximum Power Point Tracking circuits monitor solar panel current, voltage and temperature and get the maximum amount of power they can out of the solar array. This type of controller works with all voltage panels, and can accept high voltage input while charging a low voltage battery, allowing you to wire panels in series rather than parallel. MPPT controllers are more expensive, but the extra energy harvest is usually worth it..
What is the optimum angle to mount the solar panels?
In Canada, the optimum tilt angle is equal to latitude + 15 degrees for winter output, and latitude – 15 degrees for summer output. That being said, 10 to 15 degrees off the optimum does not have much impact in production. If the off-grid project is seasonal (like a summer cottage) a tilt angle that matches the roof slope is usually acceptable. For a full time home, solar panels tend to be steeper. This helps shed snow, and maximizes winter production when the solar insolation is at its lowest..
What do I need to run a refrigerator?
A refrigerator is one of the most essential appliances in a home, and one of the more significant electrical loads. However, the best Energy Star rated refrigerators today can consume as low as 1.3 to 1.5 kWh per day. Older fridges and freezers required 3 to 4 kWh per day, making them very difficult to run with a battery system. It takes about 1.5 kW of PV panels to deliver 1.5 kWh of power in December, so you can mate a good fridge and 6 250W solar panels for year round use. It the fridge is only used seasonally, say from April through October, then a 3 module system should deliver approximately the right amount of power. Our advice - buy the fridge based on its EnerGuide rating - the lower the consumption the easier on the power system.
The MS Series Inverter/Charger is a pure sine wave inverter designed specifically for the most demanding mobile, backup, and off-grid applications.
The MS Series Inverter/Charger is powerful, easy-to-use, and best of all, cost effective. Power Factor Corrected (PFC) Charger: Our PFC charger is built into all of our inverter/chargers. It uses less energy from a generator than a standard charger – 25-30% less AC current than standard chargers.
Easy-to-install: Install the MS Series in four easy steps: simply connect the inverter’s output to your distribution circuits or electrical panel, connect your utility power cable to the inverter’s easy-to-reach terminal block, connect the batteries, and switch on the power
PURE SINE WAVE DESIGNED FOR DEMANDING APPLICATIONS Features
• Pure Sine Wave – Power your TVs, computers, and other sensitive electronics without worry. The MS Series provides clean, reliable inverter power with low total harmonic distortion (THD) of less than 5%.
• Accessible Design – The extra large AC access cover with terminal screw block and 360° DC connection terminals with covers make this inverter accessible.
• Choices – The MS Series comes in 12, 24, and 48 volt configurations, allowing you to choose the model that is right for you.
• Versatile Mounting – Mount the MS Inverter/Charger on a shelf, bulkhead, or even upside down.
• Lightweight – The lightweight aluminum base and cover also provides noise reduction and corrosion resistance.
• Multiple Ports – The MS Series provides multiple ports, including an RS485 communication port for network expansion, and a remote port.
• Convenient Switches – The MS Series comes with an on/off inverter-mounted switch with an easy-to-read LED indicator.
• Expanded Transfer Relay – 60 Amp transfer service is available on all models except MS2000, which is 30 Amp only.
The MS-PAE 120/240V Series Inverter/Charger is a pure sine wave inverter designed specifically for the most demanding renewable energy applications. The MS-PAE Series is powerful, easy-to-use, and best of all, cost effective.
No series stacking required: The unique design of the MS-PAE Series can provide 120 and 240 volts output in one unit, eliminating the need to stack two units together to get 240 volts. Parallel stacking: You can parallel up to four inverter/chargers for up to 17.6 kW of power at 120/240V.
MP Panels and Router are required for parallel stacking the MS-PAE Series. Power Factor Corrected (PFC) Charger: Our PFC charger is built into all of our inverter chargers. It uses less energy from a generator than a standard charger – 25-30% less AC current than standard chargers.
MS-PAE SERIES | 120/240V INVERTER/CHARGER Features
• Pure sine wave – Power your TVs, computers and other sensitive electronics without worry. The pure sine wave inverter and power factor corrected charger provide clean, reliable inverter power with low total harmonic distortion (THD) of less than 5%.
• Choices – The MS-PAE Series comes in 24 and 48 volt configurations, allowing you to choose the model that is right for you.
• Versatile mounting – Mount the MS-PAE Series on a shelf or wall. • Lightweight – The lightweight aluminum base and cover also provides noise reduction and corrosion resistance.
• Multiple ports – The MS-PAE Series provides multiple ports, including an RS485 communication port for network expansion, and a remote port.
• Accessible design – The extra large AC access cover with terminal screw block and 360° DC connection terminals with covers make this inverter more accessible when it needs to be.
• Convenient switches – The MS-PAE Series comes with an on/off inverter-mounted switch with an easy-to-read LED indicator.
MAXIMIZE ENERGY HARVEST AND IMPROVE BATTERY LIFE Features
The PT-100 is a Maximum Power Point Tracker (MPPT) charge controller designed to harvest the maximum available energy from the PV array and deliver it to the batteries. The PT-100’s MPPT algorithm finds the maximum power point of the array and operates at this point while regulating the output current to 100 amps and battery voltage to fully charge the battery
• High Efficiency – The PT-100 provides typical 99% conversion efficiency and uses less than four watts of power in nighttime mode.
• MPPT – Maximum Power Point Tracking technology for increased PV power output efficiency.
• Voltage Options – Compatible with 12, 24, or 48V battery systems with automatic detection of system voltage. The PT-100 will produce up to 100 amps regardless of battery voltage.
• Supports a Large PV Array – A single controller supports a large PV array up to 6600W. Larger PV arrays may be used because the PT-100 is current limited to 100 amps for maximum harvest.
• Optimal Battery Charging – Automatic battery temperature compensation using an included external temperature sensor for optimum battery charging, even during extreme temperature changes. • Multi-stage Charging – Maximizes system performance and improves battery life.
• GFDI: Integrated PV Ground-Fault Detection and Interruption/ Indication, with pre-fault leakage/diagnostic metering.
• LED Indicators and Screen – Multiple LED indicators and large digital LED screen on front panel for easy-to-read system information.
• On-site Updates – The PT-100’s software can be updated on site. • Extensive Electronic Protection – Over-temperature protection, power derating when temperature is high, PV short circuit and high PV input shutdown, output overcurrent protection and night-time back-feed (reverse current) protection.
• AFCI – An integrated PV Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupter detects, indicates, and extinguishes series arcs.
• Convenient Installation – Run all of the wiring to the unique, remain-in-place wiring box with ease prior to installing the full PT-100 unit.
• Easy MP and MMP integration – The PT-100 is designed to work with a Magnum Panel (MP) or Mini-Magnum Panel (MMP). It provides room and access to PV and battery disconnect breakers. Optional Remote (Requires Magnum Inverter) • Built-in programmable auxiliary relay for device control.
Interconnection System Equipment
The Magnum Panels (MP) are part of a new line of enclosures from Magnum Energy that standardize inverter installations and allow for the ability to expand the inverter system in the future. Specifically designed for multiple inverter applications, the MP enclosures ensure safety and reliability by combining all of the major components required for a renewable energy system — inverter/ battery disconnect, AC overcurrent protection, grounding connections, and a full-system bypass switch — into an easy to install pre-wired enclosure. The modular design of the MP enclosure with the Magnum Energy inverter allows it to be UPS shipped and easily assembled on site. Installing an inverter system is now as simple as mounting the MP enclosure, installing the inverters, connecting the battery bank, and if needed, bringing in AC power from a generator or the utility grid.
Rolls Battery flooded & sealed VRLA AGM & GEL batteries for use in Renewable Energy off-grid and grid-connected backup applications.
Rolls premium deep cycle batteries have been chosen as the best off-grid battery for over 25 years.
6 volt Solar battery (Surette S-550)
2 for 12 volt (smal load demand)
4 for 24 volt ( medium load demand)
8 for 48 volt ( large load demand)
Sorry, there are no products matching your search.
choosing a selection results in a full page refresh